Effective from November 13, 2014
Boomers Travel Insurance is committed to protecting the privacy of our customers as required under the Privacy Act 1988. This privacy statement sets out how we collect, manage, use and disclose your personal information. Personal information is information about an identifiable individual and may include your name, postal address, email, telephone number or anything else reasonably necessary to provide you with the functions and services requested.
Types of personal information we collect
The types of personal information we collect will vary depending on your dealings with us and the products and services we provide to you or that you request from us. This information we collect may include your name, date of birth, gender, address, email address, telephone number, mobile phone number and credit card details.
We will only collect personal information that is reasonably necessary to provide you with the functions and services offered through our website and as requested. We will usually only collect personal information about you, from you directly and in a lawful and fair means where reasonable and practicable to do so.
When you submit a question through our website, we collect your name, your email address and any other personal information you provide when asking your question. This information is stored by us and is used to enable service providers to respond or contact you directly in response to your enquiry.
Wherever it is lawful and practicable, we will give you the option of not identifying yourself when contacting or dealing with us. For example, you can visit our website and ask questions without identifying yourself. However, without that information, we may not be able to fulfil your request or provide you with an appropriate level of service. For example, if you want to ask a question about the personal information we hold about you, you will need to give us certain personal information.
Why we collect personal information
We are required to collect personal information from you to provide you with insurance products, claims related services, medical assistance and care. We do not trade, rent or sell your personal information to third parties or use the information for any reason other than for the primary reason it was collected.
We may also collect your personal information to assist in identifying ways in which to better our products and services and will only collect necessary personal information. If you choose not to provide the information we request, we may not be able to provide you with the products and services you are seeking.
If at any time you would like your saved personal information to be deleted from our system, please contact us and we will arrange to have your records deleted from our database where it is reasonable, practicable and lawful to do so.
We use Google Display Advertising and Google Analytics Retargeting for Advertising. Visitors can opt out of Google Analytics for Display Advertising by visiting the Google Display Network Ads Preference Manager or using the Google Analytics Opt-out Browser add-on.
How we collect personal information
In most cases we will collect personal information directly from you in a fair, reasonable and lawful way. Your personal information will be collected from you in a number of ways including:
- when you complete an application for insurance over the phone or through our website directly;
- when you make a general enquiry through our Contact Us option on our website;
- during telephone calls when you contact us or when we contact you directly;
- from third party companies like medical service providers (i.e. hospitals and doctors), law enforcement and other government entities;
- from publicly available sources of information like market research providers;
- from third party persons but will make every attempt reasonable to inform you of this and ensure the information is correct and up-to-date.
How we use and disclose your personal information
We will only use your personal information for the purpose of which it was collected and that you would reasonably expect. Your personal information may be used for a number of purposes related to providing you with the products and services offered by us including:
- arranging and managing your travel insurance with us;
- dealing with enquiries and complaints;
- enhancing our products and services;
- contacting you in the future about our product and services, promotions, news articles and any other marketing for our products and services;
- conducting internal investigations to crime and fraud prevention and detection;
- training our staff; and
- for any other purpose that would be reasonably expected.
We may send you information regarding our products and services and any offers which we think may be of interest to you via SMS, telephone, email or post. If you would rather not receive these communications, you can opt out by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 1800 780 577.
Please note that we will still need to send you essential information about your insurance.
We will disclose your personal information both within and outside Australia to:
- the insurer and potentially their reinsurer;
- emergency assistance providers, health professionals, travel service providers, and suppliers who provide services for events covered by your insurance policy;
- family members in the event an emergency;
- the co-insured on an insurance policy in order to confirm the details of the insurance;
- assessors, investigators, medical practitioners, and professional advisors to investigate and assess your claim;
- our professional advisors including lawyers and auditors;
- external service providers (which may be located overseas) for the purposes of our business, for example IT service providers. Information is only disclosed on a confidential basis;
- any organisation which you request us to, including a financial adviser, broker, solicitor, or accountant;
- our related companies and other organisations where reasonable to do so in relation to the operation of our business;
- to protect and defend our rights or property;
- if we sell our business or part of it;
- in extreme circumstances, to protect the personal safety of our customers, website users, staff or the public;
- law enforcement, regulatory and government bodies, government agencies and courts, if we are required to by law to do so; and
- any other purpose or person that would be reasonably expected.
We will take all reasonable steps to protect your personal information from misuse, loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. We do not sell, trade or rent any of your personal information.
Access and correction of your personal information
We will take all reasonable steps to ensure that all personal information we collect, use, store and disclose about you is relevant, not excessive, accurate, complete and up-to-date. To ensure that we have your most current and accurate personal information, please contact us when your information changes.
You can contact us at any time to access, correct or update your personal information by submitting a written request to email@example.com You must include enough personal information to allow us to identify you and you may not access or correct personal information and/or health information of others unless you have been authorised by their express consent or otherwise under law, or unless they are your dependants under 16 years.
We will respond to your request within 10 business days and work with you to alter or update any information that we both agree is inaccurate, incomplete or out of date. In the unlikely event that we disagree with you about the changes you want to make, we will provide you with the reasons in writing and provide you with information on how you can have this decision reviewed.We do not charge for receiving a request for access to personal information or for complying with a correction request but may charge you an administration fee for providing access to your personal information.
If you have a complaint about a privacy breach, you must submit your request in writing to:
Privacy Officer?Boomers Travel Insurance?PO Box Q1287, QVB Sydney NSW 1230?Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
This policy may be revised from time to time as we continue to develop and enhance the products and services by provide or where legislation changes. We will endeavour to notify you or any significant changes but please check back periodically for updates.
For more information about privacy in general, you can refer to the Privacy